What to bring in your hiking backpack – Summer
- breathable t-shirts, made of synthetic materials (not cotton);
- long hiking pants, in polyamide or other very light fabric, or shorts or another pair of zip-off hiking pants;
- anti-blister/synthetic material hiking socks;
- hiking boots (comfortable and tested, ankle-high);
- light fleece and one slightly heavier one (the two fleeces are useful either in case of rain or on slightly cooler and breezy days);
- windproof, waterproof and breathable jacket;
- sun hat with a brim and warm cap (although in summer, breezy and cool days can happen at the highest altitudes of the Apennines).
- backpack (capacity around 20-30 liters, better with anatomical backrest and padded belt) with backpack cover;
- trekking poles;
- 1 liter waterbottle or “camelback” type water bag;
- Sunscreen and chapstick;
- First aid kit with personal medicine and isothermal blanket (to be used in case of heat stroke);
- Plastic bags (for trash, dirty clothes, and to protect the contents of the backpack in case of rain).
Optional… but very useful!
- Camera and charger;
- Phone and charger;
- Needle and thread;
- Multipurpose tool/ knife